Amanda McInnes sentenced to 18 years without parole for murdering husband in south Edmonton

23/11/2018 Posted by admin

An Edmonton woman who tied up and fatally stabbed her husband 40 times was given a life sentence and must serve 18 years behind bars before she is eligible for parole, a judge ruled Thursday.

In December 2015, Amanda Michelle McInnes pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of Tye Christopher Kaye.

An assessment of McInnes showed she has the abilities of an average 12-year-old and her intelligence is extremely low. It also showed McInnes now suffers from major depression and likely had mild depression before the homicide, though there were no signs of psychosis.

Justice Paul Belzil said while the murder was “callous and brutal,” her mental state was a factor in his decision.

“While she knew what she was doing was wrong, one can’t ignore that the quality of her intellectual capability is quite low,” Belzil said.

ChangSha Night Net

After sentencing, members of the family hugged each other, and one friend exclaimed, “Thank you God.”

Kaye’s uncle, Mark Ciarciaglini, spoke outside the courthouse afterward, saying the family is trying to forgive McInnes so they can move on.

“It’s very important. It’s something that our father taught us at a very young age,” Ciarciaglini said.

“There is so much hatred in the world nowadays, forgiveness is really… you know, you can’t pent up that anger forever. It’s not good for you. Forgiveness, it frees you as well.”

Ciarciaglini also read a statement from the family addressing how domestic violence towards men is often not talked about in society.

“It can be subtle and often appears as a pattern of controlling behaviour. It can show itself as insults, isolating the victim from others and controlling access to children,” he read.

“It is our hope that today’s verdict will bring attention to this matter. Men also need support when they are victims of abuse.”

Kaye, 27, was found dead in his south Edmonton apartment on Sept. 21, 2012.

READ MORE: Two Edmonton murders highlight Alberta’s high rate of domestic violence

During the first day of sentencing on Tuesday, court heard the couple had broken up about a year earlier but were attempting to reconcile.

Court also heard McInnes, who turns 31 on Oct. 15, admitted she tied Kaye up after convincing him it was for sex. Kaye’s left hand and ankles were bound to the bed frame when he was found dead.

The autopsy revealed McInnes stabbed Kaye 40 times and cut him another 23 times.

The day after the killing, McInnes bought crayons and yellow gloves at a dollar store, returned to the apartment and wrote “Murder #3 – This is not over pigs” on the wall in an attempt to mislead investigators.

While information was deleted from McInnes’ phone, investigators were able to recover news articles about women who kill their partners and other Internet searches, including “Can police read your deleted text messages?”as well as “How do you tie someone to a bed for sex?” and “How long does it take to die from a stab wound?”

READ MORE: Edmonton woman faces up to 22 years without parole for fatally stabbing husband

In court Tuesday, seven victim impact statements were read, including one from McInnes’ sister, Jill.

“I feel so ashamed being related to someone who could do this,” Jill said, adding she is happy her sister is in jail.

Miriam Kaye, Tye Kaye’s mother, read a statement saying she has “deep fears” for the safety and security of her family “not knowing what might happen if Amanda is released. I am honestly terrified.”

Brian Kaye, Tye Kaye’s adoptive father, said his son “had no idea of the cruel fate that awaited him” and asked, “What will she do if she has another chance?”

Watch Below: Crown prosecutors were calling for a 22-year second-degree murder sentence for a woman who planned and carried out a brutal murder on her husband. In September 2012, Amanda McInnes lured her estranged husband to her home, tied him to a bed and stabbed him 40 times. Fletcher Kent filed this report on Tuesday.

For most of the morning, McInnes sat in the witness box with her head dropped, wiping away tears.

Her lawyer read the following apology on her behalf in court Tuesday.

“I would like to apologize to Tye’s family and friends. I feel a lot of sorrow and am very remorseful for what I’ve done,” the lawyer read. “In all honesty, I deserve it. I deeply regret what I have done. I am trying everything in my power not to crumble.”

A second-degree murder conviction comes with a mandatory life sentence along with a minimum of 10 years of parole ineligibility. The Crown asked that McInnes spend at least 22 years behind bars before being allowed to apply for parole. The defence asked for 16 years of parole ineligibility.

Justice Paul Belzil credited McInnes’ pre-trial custody, so she will still have to spend 14 years in prison before she can apply for parole.

With files from Fletcher Kent and Caley Ramsay, Global News.