Archive for: ‘December 2018’

New York Times responds to Trump libel threat, would welcome court to ‘set him straight’

24/12/2018 Posted by admin

WASHINGTON — The New York Times on Thursday rejected Donald Trump‘s claim the newspaper had libeled the Republican presidential nominee, saying its story about two women who said he sexually assaulted them was “newsworthy information about a subject of deep public concern.”

READ MORE: What does a libel suit mean for NYT and Donald Trump?

In a letter, Times attorney David McCraw said Trump “has bragged about his non-consensual sexual touching of women” and that multiple women had already come forward. “Nothing in our article has had the slightest effect on the reputation that Mr. Trump, through his own words and actions, has already created for himself,” he wrote.

WATCH: Donald Trump says New York Times grasping for relevance with stories about sexual assault 

ChangSha Night Net

The Times reported Wednesday that two women told the paper of his unwanted sexual advances. One, Jessica Leeds, said Trump groped her on an airplane more than three decades ago. The other, Rachel Crooks, said Trump kissed her without invitation in 2006 when she was a 22-year-old receptionist for a real estate firm located at Trump Tower.

Trump vehemently denied the allegations, and demanded through his attorney that the story be retracted. At a rally in Ohio, Trump said the media had “slandered and lied about me with false accusations.”

READ MORE: Donald Trump threatens to sue New York Times over sexual assault allegation article

 The Times refused to retract the story, saying its reporters worked diligently to confirm the women’s accounts. “It would have been a disservice not just to our readers but to democracy itself to silence their voices,” McCraw’s letter said.

McCraw said that if Trump decides to go ahead with a lawsuit, then “we welcome the opportunity to have a court set him straight.”

Trump’s wife, Melania Trump, is threatening to sue a separate publication over another woman’s allegation of assault by her husband.

WATCH: Donald Trump took a jab at the media and said the sexual misconduct accusations against him are a way to distract the public from WikiLeaks.

Lawyers for Melania Trump demanded Thursday that People magazine retract and apologize for a story in which one of its writers, Natasha Stoynoff, describes being assaulted by Trump at their Florida home, Mar-a-Lago, in 2005. Stoynoff wrote that she had arrived to interview the couple for a story, and that when Melania Trump left the room, her husband pushed Stoynoff against a wall and assaulted her.

The story also says the writer and Melania Trump later ran into each other in New York and had a conversation. Lawyers for the Republican nominee’s wife say no such encounter occurred.

View this document on Scribd

‘I’ve loved every minute’: Dartmouth’s ‘queen’ bids farewell to politics

24/12/2018 Posted by admin

It’s a farewell party for the ages and it’s all in the name of a woman affectionately known as “Lady of the Lakes.”

“Nobody’s going to fill Gloria’s shoes, she’s done so much for the city of Dartmouth and she’s done it with devotion and passion,” Ed Fern, a Dartmouth resident, said.

Gloria McCluskey is wrapping up over two decades serving in municipal politics, a career she’s emotional about leaving.

“I’m sad it’s ending. I don’t want to go but I’ve had a great run, 23 years,” McCluskey said at a farewell celebration hosted for her at Alderney Landing.

McCluskey first got involved in politics when Dartmouth was its own municipality.

READ MORE: Halifax Election 2016: What you need to know before heading to the polls

She served as Dartmouth’s last mayor before it was amalgamated into Halifax Regional Municipality in 1996.

ChangSha Night Net

“I wasn’t happy with amalgamation so I left for eight and a half years. Then in 2004, I thought I should go back and represent Dartmouth again.”

She’s served as the Councillor of District 5, Dartmouth Centre, ever since, leaving lasting impressions on residents of all backgrounds.

“She’s been one of the kindest people that I’ve met since I’ve been in Dartmouth and she’s genuinely concerned about the people that live here in her community,” Deborah Snow, a Dartmouth resident, said.

McCluskey’s also known as the “Queen of Dartmouth” and once had the chance to meet Queen Elizabeth, but she says it’s the people in her community who have given her a career full of joy.

“I love helping people and I’ve loved every minute of every day,” McCluskey said.

Garbage cans placed on Janvier mosaic at Rogers Place cause social media outcry

24/12/2018 Posted by admin

Rogers Place said it vows it will never again place garbage cans on the Iron Foot Place tile mosaic in Ford Hall after pictures of the arena doing just that caused public outcry on social media Wednesday night.

Following the Edmonton Oilers season opener at the downtown arena Wednesday, garbage bins and a couple of “no re-entry” signs were placed on the piece of public artwork. The 3,500-pound mosaic, designed by Alberta artist Alex Janvier, is made up of nearly one million byzantine glass smalti tiles.

Watch below: Tile mosaic Iron Foot Place unveiled at Rogers Place

Pictures of the waste bins placed on the artwork popped up on 桑拿会所 to the dismay of many social media users who said it was disrespectful to the artist and indigenous culture.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • IN PHOTOS: Rogers Place hosts inaugural Battle of Alberta

  • McDavid’s 3 points leads Edmonton Oilers to season opener win over Calgary Flames

  • Edmonton Oilers officially launch era of new arena

    “That’s not the way we want the artwork to be treated,” Katherine Kerr, public art director with the Edmonton Arts Council, said Thursday.

    “We absolutely want people to walk on it and immerse themselves in it and enjoy it in its entirety, but it’s not for objects.”

    Kerr said it was likely an oversight on behalf of a Rogers Place employee. She said the arts council spoke with staff at Rogers Place and the City of Edmonton, who assured her it wouldn’t happen again.

    “It was probably somebody doing their job and thinking they were being very efficient. And we hope that it’s looked at that way and we can just let it rest.”

    READ MORE: Alberta artist Alex Janvier to create public art for Edmonton’s downtown arena

    In response to complaints, Rogers Place confirmed it won’t place garbage cans or other crowd-control paraphernalia on the Janvier Mosaic in Ford Hall again.

Vernon senior recovering after dog attack

24/12/2018 Posted by admin

A north Okanagan senior is still recovering after a sudden dog attack in early September. He wants to see restrictions placed on the breed of dog that attacked him, but that may be easier said than done.

Doug McNeil, 84, was out for a morning walk in the Mission Hill area of Vernon on Sept. 4 when a dog jumped up on his chest and knocked him backwards.

“When he knocked me down I remember hitting the ground and him biting on me. I tried to keep him off my face so I had bite marks on me,” said McNeil.

ChangSha Night Net

“I thought this is a hell of a way to go.”

The incident left the senior in rough shape with bruises on his arms. He needed an operation to fix his injured hip.

“They had to rebuild the hip bone. It was shattered,” said McNeil.

More than a month later he is still recovering. The senior doesn’t want to see the same thing happen to anyone else and is calling for restrictions on the breed of dog that attacked him, which he believes was a bullmastiff.

“Get that breed of dog off the street. It’s almost [as] big as a man. Knocked me flat,” said McNeil.

However, restricting a particular breed would have its challenges including identifying which animals fell into that category. Dog control said that the dog that attacked McNeil wasn’t a bullmastiff but a mixture of different mastiff breeds.

“People want to restrict pit bulls and Rottweilers. Any breed can be dangerous, it depends on the dog, it depends on the owner,” said Pat Ellis with K9 Control.

In the McNeil case, dog control said the animal was declared dangerous and must now be muzzled when out in public.

“We did issue tickets to the dog owner. He was quite upset about the whole thing himself. It is my understanding that they have surrendered the dog to a dog training facility at the moment to have it assessed and [the facility] will decide if the dog will be put down or not,” said Ellis.

Meanwhile, McNeil estimates he still has weeks of recovery left before he can get around with just a cane.

Airlines in US adding ‘fire containment bags’ for overheating phones

24/12/2018 Posted by admin

NEW YORK – Some airlines are taking extra steps to prevent a disaster in case a passenger’s device powered by a lithium ion battery catches fire during flight.

At least three U.S. airlines are adding new fire-suppression equipment to fleets in case a cellphone or laptop battery overheats, catches on fire and can’t be extinguished.

ChangSha Night Net

The issue has taken on new urgency following incidents of overheating Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones, including one on a Southwest Airlines flight earlier this month.

READ MORE: Samsung sending Galaxy Note 7 users fireproof boxes, gloves

The Federal Aviation Administration has taken the unusual step of warning passengers not to use or charge the devices while on board and not to stow them in checked luggage.

The first airline to deploy fire-containment bags on its entire fleet was Alaska Airlines. The Seattle-based airline finished adding them to its 219 planes in May, a process that took two months from concept to deployment.

The bright red bags are made of a fire-resistant material and are designed to hold electronic devices such as mobile phones and laptops that can sometimes overheat and catch fire. The bags can be shut with Velcro and heavy-duty zippers and can withstand temperatures up to 3,200 degrees Fahrenheit. They sell for $1,800 each but airlines are likely to have negotiated a bulk discount.

WATCH: Coverage of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones catching fire

Samsung Note7: Use gloves or return to store?

02:10

Samsung Note7: Use gloves or return to store?

02:37

Samsung cell phone return tips

02:40

Tech giant Samsung to stop production of Galaxy Note 7

01:13

Home security camera footage captures Samsung Galaxy Note 7 catching fire in woman’s hand

01:28

Analyst calls halt of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 a ‘disaster’ for tech giant

01:43

Passenger’s Samsung Galaxy Note 7 forces plane evacuation after replacement phone begins smoking



Virgin America has installed fire-containment bags on all its planes, said spokeswoman Jennifer Thomas. The airline, which is based in Burlingame, California, has about 60 jets.

Delta Air Lines noted Thursday on a call with investors that it too would be adding such bags. The Atlanta-based airline has more than 900 planes, all of which will eventually get the bags, depending on production speeds and the ability to train flight attendants and pilots.

The first priority will be the 166 aircraft that cross oceans, as well as some Boeing 757s used for domestic flights, according to spokesman Morgan Durrant. Those jets will have two bags each by the end of the year. In 2017, Delta plans to start adding the bags to its domestic fleet, including planes flown by its regional airline partners.

READ MORE: Airplane passenger’s replacement Galaxy Note 7 begins smoking, forces evacuation

“This has been on the to-do list but has been accelerated by recent events,” Durrant said.

American Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines don’t have any immediate plans for fire containment bags but all said their crews are trained on how to fight such high-energy fires. Additionally, aircraft have been fitted with fire extinguishers in the cabin as well as other fire detection and suppression systems in cargo holds for decades.